Title: Happy Birthday! You are my favorite artist!
Overview: Using a variety of Web 2.0 tools, students will create a virtual, animated birthday card for their favorite artist.
Content Area: Art, Art History, and Design
Grade Level: Grades 8 -12
- The student will be able to research a specific individual using Infoplease while keeping comprehensive notes.
- The student will be able to create 10 customized photos containing facts about their favorite artists from their previous research.
- The students will be able to upload, add, and share photos to their own Flickr stream dedicated to their favorite artist.
- The student will be able to import and add their Flickr photos as well as compose text for their own personal, Animoto account.
- The students will be able to create a personal, virtual birthday card for their favorite artist.
NETS Standards for Students
1. Creativity and Innovation
Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology. Students:
a. apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes.
b. create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
2. Communication and Collaboration
Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. Students:
b. communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats
3. Research and Information Fluency
Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information. Students:
a. plan strategies to guide inquiry.
b. locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
c. evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to speciﬁc tasks.
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources. Students:
a. identify and deﬁne authentic problems and signiﬁcant questions for investigation.
b. plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations. Students:
a. understand and use technology systems.
b. select and use applications effectively and productively.
c. troubleshoot systems and applications.
d. transfer current knowledge to learning of new technologies.
www.infoplease.com – (A Web 2.0 research tool that utilizes reference materials).
www.letterjames.com – (A Web 2.0 image generator tool).
www.flickr.com – (A Web 2.0 photo sharing tool).
www.animoto.com – (A Web 2.0 video editing and presentation tool).
http://www.famousartistsgallery.com/ – (A virtual art gallery featuring works by famous artists).
http://nyfew.com/birthday-greetings/index.php – (A database of famous artist’s birthdays).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGNHDntr0g – (Video for how to upload photos to Flickr).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-apaZXsQrQ – (60 seconds on how to use Animoto).
- A computer with an Internet connection for each student
- A notebook for each student
- A pencil for each student
In this lesson, students will create a virtual birthday card for their favorite artist. By using research and an image generator to create unique images, students will develop assets for their virtual birthday card. Next, by learning to save and upload their completed images to a photo-sharing site, students will have a virtual storage area in which to load the files into their final video birthday card complete with text, music, and custom graphics.
Part 1. Selecting an Artist
1. Begin by asking students to select their favorite artist. If the student cannot decide on favorite artist then ask them to select an artist using one of the secondary resources above.
2. Ask the students to find out information on their favorite artists including their birthdates by logging onto the Internet and navigating to www.inforplease.com to perform a specific, reference search on their favorite artist.
3. Tell students to record 10 facts about their favorite artist in their notebooks to be used later in the assignment.
Part 2. Create Images
1. Tell students to create a personal folder by right-clicking on the Desktop and selecting “New” and then “Folder.”
2. Ask them to label the folder with their first name.
3. Inform students to remain on the Internet and to navigate to www.letterjames.com to create custom images.
4. Tell students to click on the “Products” tab and select “Images and Ecards” to be forward to the menu where students can select different image templates to create their own custom images.
5. Share with the students that may select 10 images from any category to customize its text with the 10 facts they recorded in their notebook from earlier research.
6. Inform students with each image creation they must enter the “Captcha” phrase, select the “Create Image” button, and then select the “Download Image” to save each image to their personal folder on their Desktop.
Part 3. Upload all generated images to Flickr
1. Ask students to create their own Flickr account by navigating to www.flickr.com and clicking “Sign Up.”
2. Tell the students to follow the on screen prompts until their account is created.
3. Inform the students that once their account is created they should click the link “Upload Photos & Videos” and navigate to their personal folder on their Desktop and select the 10 images they saved there.
Part 4. Create a Virtual Birthday Card with Animoto
1. Direct students to navigate to www.animoto.com to create a personal account by clicking “Sign Up.”
2. Tell students to follow the website prompts to make a free “Lite” personal account.
3. Inform students to select a free template, and select “Make a free 30-sec video.”
4. Ask students to select “Add Pics & Vids” form the menu on the left, and then select “Flickr” from the menu.
5. Tell the students to select the “Ok, I’ll Authorize It” button to begin uploading the 10 custom images into the video.
6. Inform students to add music and text and then preview their video.
7. Ask students to click the “Produce” button, and then show it to the teacher for grading by the following rubric.
Excellent (25 pts.)
Sufficient (20 pts.)
Poor (15 pts.)
10 facts were recorded about their favorite artist.
5 facts were recorded about their favorite artist.
0 facts were recorded about their favorite artist.
10 images were made about their favorite artist.
5 images were made about their favorite artist.
0 images were made about their favorite artist.
All images were uploaded to his or her own personal account.
Some images were uploaded to his or her own personal account.
No images were uploaded to his or her own personal account.
A complete 30 sec virtual birthday card was made with all of the required elements and was shown to the teacher.
A complete 30 sec virtual birthday card was made with some of the required elements and was shown to the teacher.
An incomplete 30 sec virtual birthday card was made with none of the required elements or was shown to the teacher.
1.1 Instructional Systems Design (ISD)
1.4 Learner Characteristics
2.3 Computer-Based Technologies
2.4 Integrated Technologies
3.2 Diffusion of Innovations
5.2 Criterion-Referenced Measurement